Disclaimer: I received the 2XU Hyoptik Thermal Compression Tights to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
Winter training can be challenging for even the most seasoned runner. But with the right gear, you can make great physical and mental gains during these cold, dark months. 2XU Hyoptik Thermal Compression Tight provides runners with optimal solutions for both the cold and the darkness that we encounter during this time of year.
- HYOPTIK (pronounced like “high optic”) reflective logos help you stay visible when training in low light conditions. (This is super important to me as I log most of my miles in the predawn darkness.)
- Soft brushed thermal inner layer retains warmth in cold climates
- With coverage over the knee powerful compression support and protect upper leg muscles to help prevent soreness and fatigue
- High-filament yarns facilitate evaporation of perspiration for cool, dry feel.
- Wide, flat waistband with drawstring closure, as well as flatlock seams for smooth on-skin feel.
- 50+UPF rating ensures proper protection from harmful UV rays
- Antimicrobial treatment prevents growth of odor-causing microbes
How They Feel
Already a fan of 2XU MCS Run Compression Tights, I was excited to try these thermal ones. With the word “thermal” in the name, I was expecting them to be noticeably thick, maybe even have some type of liner on the inside. Instead, they are very smooth and thinner than I expected. The high quality fabric is obvious to the touch as it is both strong yet thin at the same time. It reminded me of what a super hero uniform might feel like!
I was not initially certain they would keep me warmer than other brands of tights I own. I wore them for several runs of different lengths in various weather conditions (both in the US and in Ireland) and even indoors for a tough treadmill workout. I was never uncomfortable in these tights and did not chafe at all. I wore them in windy, cold condition while running along the Irish Sea as well as on the trails in the Wicklow Mountains and loved them for both occasions. I agree with my fellow Bibrave Pro, Cass, and recommend using them as a base layer in extreme conditions (below 20F) just to make sure your skin stays protected.
What I Think
- 2XU KNOWS compression!! I love how these tights contour to my muscles without feeling too tight or uncomfortable. The wide waist band plays a big part in that comfort. I wore them while traveling internationally and my legs felt great upon arrival.
- Compression keeps me injury free! The 2XU compression is designed for improved blood circulation as well as supporting major muscle groups like the hip abductors, calves, glutes, etc. Last spring, I suffered from a hip injury that took me months to rehab. Staying healthy and strong is very important to me this year and 2XU is helping me achieve that. The compression on my hip feels fabulous during my workouts!
- Reflective gear keeps me safe! I love that these tights are designed with runner safety in mind. My friends know that I will always be decked out in my reflective vest and now I can add my 2XU tights as well!
- Good for warm climates, too! I used them for indoor workouts and never felt overheated in any way. Bibrave Pro, Jenny, lives in San Diego and reviewed the 3/4 length tights.
- Run a little short. The one drawback is that I think they run slightly short. I am 5’7″ and used the size chart to determine that I should wear a small. They fit perfectly everywhere except that my ankles are a bit exposed. Another Bibrave Pro, Jeremy, also experienced a similar issue. It is not really a problem, per se. In very cold conditions, I just wear a longer sock. But it would be nice if the Hyoptik tight were available in Tall sizes. To be fair, I do own a pair of 2XU Recovery Compression Tights in Women’s Tall Small and they cover my ankles perfectly!
- They are a bit expensive. The 3/4 length is $99.99 and the full length is $139.99. But from my experience with 2XU, they are on par with other compression products and the quality of the product is worth the investment. Just be sure to take care of them and DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE DRYER! EVER. Although there is not a current discount available for 2XU, be sure to keep checking back with my discount page to see if one pops up. If you are a first time buyer, the 2XU website offers a 10% discount on your first purchase if you subscribe to their email.
Wonder what some of the other Bibrave Pros think? Check out their reviews below!